What is Love?
1 John 3:16
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
- There are a lot of definition about love. But what is the real Love? For us to know the real meaning of love, we must look back to the cross and know what Christ did for us. When we understand what God did on the cross, we will know what real love is.
3 points about Love :
1. Real love is initiated by God.
1 John 4: 19
We love because He first loved us.
1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
- God is love and he is the initiator of love.
2. Real love will bring you closer to God.
1 John 4:10
This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
- Because of sin we were separated from God. But because he loves us he gave his Son Jesus to pay for our sins. The goal of Jesus Christ is for us to get closer to God.
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect for love.
3. Real love results to laying down of one’s life for someone.
- As it is said, For he loved us, Jesus Christ died on the cross to pay for our sin and for us to know His love for us and for us to have a everlasting love. A love that cannot be compared from others. God showed what love is.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.